hi thank u oriental outpost

Post here if you need your name added to our list of transliterated Mandarin Chinese names. Please note that we usually only do given names (first names), but we will try your family name if you really want it. If your name is not English or Spanish or is uncommon, please include the culture or language origin of your name and/or some pronunciation hints.
Forum rules
If your name is not English or Spanish or is uncommon, please include the culture or language origin of your name and/or some pronunciation hints.
gowtham

hi thank u oriental outpost

Post by gowtham » Jul 2, 2012 8:30 am

PLEASE TRANSLATE THIS NAME " LAKSHMI " INTO CHINESE,
IT CAN ALSO BE WRITTEN AS LAKSHMI AND ALSO LAXMI. MEET THAT THE GODDESS OF MONEY AND LUCK

Gary
The Boss

Re: hi thank u oriental outpost

Post by Gary » Jul 2, 2012 2:10 pm

I've added the transliteration of Lakshmi for you here:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/name.php?n=lakshmi

Please note that this will sound like Lakshmi, but does not have the goddess of prosperity meaning of the Indian name.

If you want to go to the origin, we can take the Sanskrit word Laksme or Lakṣmī, meaning "goal", and come up with a Chinese word of the same meaning.

However, we can also use the Chinese title for Lakṣmī, 吉祥天女. This goddess is somewhat known in Chinese where I'd translate it back as, "goddess of fortune and beauty". Just to make sure I've got it right, Lakṣmī is wife of Viṣṇu or Nārāyaṇa. It's said she sprang from the ocean with a lotus in hand (Sometimes called Padmā for this reason). Chinese people (and weird white guys like me) can easily confuse the Hindu Lakṣmī to the Buddhist Guanyin.

If you want this special title, just follow this link:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/options. ... 2825+22899
Note that this will mean "(Hindu) Goddess of Prosperity", but does not sound like Lakshmi when pronounced.

Cheers,
-Gary.