please add name

Post here if you need your name added to our list of transliterated Mandarin Chinese names. Please note that we usually only do given names (first names), but we will try your family name if you really want it. If your name is not English or Spanish or is uncommon, please include the culture or language origin of your name and/or some pronunciation hints.
Forum rules
If your name is not English or Spanish or is uncommon, please include the culture or language origin of your name and/or some pronunciation hints.
bhopper

please add name

Post by bhopper » Sep 17, 2011 12:59 pm

Looking for "Hopper" - our last name. Can it be done? Thank you for your assistance.

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Sep 17, 2011 6:47 pm

There's two ways to do this.

1. A transliteration which is where it will sound like "hopper" using Mandarin Chinese pronunciation.

2. A translation where the result will mean "hopper" (like grasshopper, etc).

Which one do you want? I like to do translation of names like this whenever possible. It will make it more universal, as most of the time, if it means something in Chinese, it will mean the same thing in Japanese and old Korean.

-Gary.

bhopper

Post by bhopper » Sep 18, 2011 5:42 am

I like translation as in Grass Hopper - - what would the cost be on this and also do you do small pictures as in an initial like "H" ? Thank you.

bhopper

Post by bhopper » Sep 26, 2011 5:11 am

Gary, did u see above request ? thx u !

Cat
Professional Chinese Translator

Post by Cat » Oct 10, 2011 10:29 pm

Hopper translated as "grasshopper" is not that simple... because there are at least four different ways to say it "蚱蜢(zha4 meng3, the sort of scientific way)" or "蝗虫(huang2 chong2, the most common name)" or "蚂蚱(ma4 zha4, the most common name in North China)" or "草蜢(cao3 meng3, the common name in South China. And this name has been used by a famous Taiwan band)"...

If you still want to be "related with this Acrida" :) then "蚂蚱" will make a cute nickname (for men or women). Try not to use "蝗虫" since it implies "lazy ass/ stealing food bastard..."

As for transliteration for "Hopper", there are: 霍珀(huo4 bo2) or 浩博(hao4 bo2) or 琥珀(hu3 po4, this word means "amber").

-Cat.
Last edited by Cat on Oct 11, 2011 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bhopper

Post by bhopper » Oct 11, 2011 4:46 am

I would like to see about a wall scroll as suggested in Cat's reply. How to I go about ordering? Thank you for your help !!

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Oct 11, 2011 2:44 pm

I am guessing you mean the grasshopper-related one that she suggested. You can check out this link:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/dictiona ... E%E8%9A%B1

You can click on the "Buy a Custom Calligraphy Wall Scroll" link to the right side of that entry to start your project.

Let me know if you meant a different title.

Sorry this took so long. My translator has been swamped with work for a few weeks, so she just didn't have a lot of spare time to work on forum requests.

-Gary.